Saturday, November 29, 2008

Whack Friday

I hope everyone had a marvelous Thanksgiving.

Somehow our gluttony that's permissible on Thursday translates into rabid consumption the next day. During my day, I remember a frenzy over Cabbage Patch Kids during this time of year. Of course spending helps boost the economy...as long as you make that $15 monthly minimum on your credit card; but if a life has to be lost in order to get that flat screen for 20% off, it's not worth it.

During the early morning hours on Black Friday, at a Wal-Mart on Long Island, seasonal employee Jdimytai Damour was trampled by a hoard of greedy shoppers who had been pushing against the glass doors of the big box until it finally opened at 5:00 AM. Mr. Damour ended up dying of a heart attack.

I'm not a fan of lines, especially when it comes to buying something. Whether it's the new Comme des Garçons line at H&M, the new iPhone, or the latest Wu-Tang album, I can wait. Despite my impatience, or because of it, I'll avoid these kinds of lines at all costs.

A coworker of the victim was quoted in The Daily News: "I look at these people's faces and I keep thinking one of them could have stepped on him. How could you take a man's life to save $20 on a TV?"

No comments:

Post a Comment