Friday, January 2, 2009

In Your Face


The other day I was frantically looking for a belt to wear with my favorite dress—a Zero Maria Cornejo number I bought a couple of years ago for a wedding. Nothing was working quite well. The fuchsia rope belt made it look too vintagey, which can come across as too costumey. The black leather belt was a bit too sober. I was attending a business lunch, but I didn't want to appear overly corporate either.

After an extended period of trial and error I realized tha the perfect belt had been staring me in the face the entire time. It was the original belt that came with the dress. Normally I'm not a big fan of this. Somtimes I think the designer assumes the consumer is a complete dodo brain and needs a great deal of hand holding. Afterall, shoes and earrings aren't thrown in when a garment is purchased. It's up to the consumer to figure what works best for him or her.

But in this instance, the belt was saying, "You don't have to wear me all the time. But I'm hear if you ever need me."

Thanks belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment